Freedom Fund Update - February 2014
Well, the time has come to update the Freedom Fund once again as we start another month. The Freedom Fund is my portfolio, and I think it's aptly named. My portfolio is my way to freedom; freedom from a job I don't desire to purchase goods I don't need to impress neighbors I don't care about. This journey is all about freedom and flexibility. One day the dividend income this portfolio generates will fully replace my day job's income and my time will be completely my own. What could you possibly want to own more than your time?
I feel extremely fortunate and thankful that I'm able to post these updates every single month which shows the power of monthly contributions to investments because of the high savings rate I maintain. It shows how a relatively large sum of money can be built through the power of time, patience and perseverance.
It's important to keep in mind that while updating the overall value of my portfolio is important for historical reference and for purposes of keeping track of total return, my main focus is on the rising dividend income stream the Fund provides.
This past January was one of the most active months for the Fund ever. I didn't intend for it to be so busy. I don't view activity in itself as something an investor should aim for. I subscribe to the old adage that your investment portfolio is like a bar of soap; the more you handle it, the less you'll have in the end.
The first change I made to the portfolio in January was adding to my position with Target Corporation (TGT) after the stock price continued to sink. This purchase allowed me to average down and add to a high quality retailer that's been around for more than a century. Although everyone is talking about the data breach, Target is not the first business to be affected by such an event and certainly won't be the last. While this will cost money to rectify, I'm actually more concerned about the stalling expansion in Canada. I would think Canada would be an easy transition for Target because shoppers' habits are somewhat similar to ours, and the culture is obviously quite similar. So if growth there stutters, I do wonder how that bodes for further international expansion. However, I'm still willing to give Target the benefit of the doubt and assume they'll connect with Canadian shoppers over time.
My additional investment in Target was the only activity I really planned for January. However, certain events forced my hand. Most notably, I decided to sell Intel Corporation (INTC) after the company declared its seventh straight unchanged quarterly dividend. I'm a dividend growth investor who is seeking passive dividend income that increases annually over the rate of inflation, and Intel just didn't seem to have my best interests in mind in regards to the dividend policy. Proof of that was in the fact that management had been mum on why it stopped increasing the dividend, and whether it would be increased at any point in the future. Furthermore, there were more questions than answers for me after I took a hard look at Intel's future in mobile processing. I was a shareholder for almost three years, but in the end changes are sometimes required.
With this proceeds from the aforementioned sale, I first initiated a position in Omega Healthcare Investors Inc (OHI). The growth for this REIT over the last five years or so has been outstanding, but we'll see how it does going forward. I'm excited about the yield and the dividend growth, and even a slowing of the growth rate still provides for strong risk-adjusted returns.
I then took the capital left over after that transaction and added some fresh cash from my day job in order to add to my position with The Coca-Cola Company (KO). Th world's largest beverage company really needs no introduction from me, but after a full quantitative and qualitative analysis I felt very comfortable adding to my investment with Coke. There are few companies that provide clockwork 7-10% growth with great earnings visibility, and this is one of them.
Finally, I added to one of the largest positions in my portfolio after Philip Morris International Inc. (PM) continued its downward slide with seemingly no major catalyst. This was an investment I was actually trying to avoid, as I don't like one company being such a large portion of my portfolio. Going forward, I want no one company to be more than 4% of my portfolio. However, my portfolio is still growing month by month so I hope the rest of the Fund grows in around PM over time and shrinks its weighting.
I don't anticipate the rest of the year to be anything like this, but I suppose it's a bit exciting when it does occur. I rather hope for 1-2 equity investments per month in high quality companies that have records of dividend growth going forward. I'm also not planning on selling off any other investments, but we'll see what happens.
The current market value of the Freedom Fund stands at $144,078.80. This is a loss of -1.94% over last month's published value of $146.930.61. I don't often publish monthly reductions in the value of the Fund, but this will occasionally happen as the value of the portfolio increases and monthly stock market gyrations cause greater value fluctuations than the capital infusions I provide to offset such. Of course, much of the loss can be attributed to the fact that the broader market is down some -3.5% over the last 30 days, and more specifically some of my big positions, like Philip Morris International, are down much more over the last month. Of course, I've often discussed how I look forward to seeing the price of stocks I invest in to decline so this has actually been a very exciting month for in that regard. And that accounts for part of the reason I've been as active as I have been over the latter part of January.
Moreover, I'm hoping the broader market pullback continues throughout the rest of the year. This allows my fresh capital (which is now more limited due to changes at work) to go even further by buying cheaper shares, thereby increasing my yield and the passive income I can possibly generate. 2014 is starting out wonderfully!
I'm currently invested in 43 companies. This is unchanged since last month.
These updates are mainly designed to show the increase or decrease in the value of the underlying equities I'm invested in, but the main purpose of investing in dividend growth stocks is for the rising stream of dividends over time. So with that said I don't put too much emphasis on these monthly updates on the value of my portfolio. I think it is a good idea, however, to keep track of the rising (or falling) value of one's securities and be aware of where they are in terms of the marketplace and whether or not certain stocks are attractively priced. It proves to be a useful exercise, for me at least, to update the values monthly. It gives me fresh perspective on which equities are performing well and which aren't, and from there I can make educated decisions (based on further due diligence) on which stocks I'd like to add fresh capital to (while considering portfolio weight as well).
Full Disclosure: Long TGT, OHI, KO, PM
How was your January? Did you have a particularly active month as well?
Thanks for reading.
Photo Credit: Stuart Miles/FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Labels: Freedom Fund Update


48 Comments:
DM,
You definitely had an active month. I also picked up some TGT, plus WTR, CLX, and CSX. Sometimes it feels good to have a small decrease in value due to the broader market. Big drops don't feel good obviously, but it makes you feel like some correction is happening and our portfolios are a bit more fairly priced afterwards. If it does continue down, more value will open up. Time to get the cash ready.
-RBD
You are right! we all hope for better prices! tomorrow should be another decline, at least that what the futures looks like. But things can change on Monday we are going to see ISM Mfg Index, Construction Spending and PMI Manufacturing Index, these have the "market moving" possibility. witch way? well that's a good question.
Also thursday there's going to be announcement from the ECB (European Central Bank). about the interest rates.
Its going to be another interesting week!
best regards!
Closing in on $150k! Although I'm sure you wouldn't mind having the current value dip another 10%. January was also a much busier month for me than I expected it would be. My plan was to try and stay on the sidelines but the markets kind of forced my hand on that one.
Nearing that 150k Jason. Soon you're going to have to figure out what is "next". I am also hoping this pullback continues. I initiated my position in Unilever on Friday, and am very close to buying a few other stocks. I'm hoping this year turns out like 2011, in that I put lots of good money to work and outperformed the market handily. Who knows though, capital allocation is more akin to a marathon than a sprint. Besides, i have a son coming in 6 weeks :o) I hope you have a good week. By the way, I told Kraig when he comes down next the three of us need to get together. Take care
-Bryan
This is a great post because it shows your FF going down, which is not causing you to have a heart attack or anything. My own portfolio took a "hit" this past month, but I am loving it! If Warren Buffet was reading this post right now, he'd be happy.
Keep on trucking!
You know the PM purchase felt great. I say sell 4 more and build up on your titans. PM, JNJ, PEP, XOM, CVX, GE, KO etc... I would personally rather have 10 titan stocks,10 powerhouse stocks (portfolio of 20 companies) , and finally just hold a mutual fund for the diversity. Just my 2 cents.
The problem with stocks is that its almost like collecting Pokémon cards or footfall cards. There is a fine line between being a collector and investor. I have to show restraint all the time, because I would love to own this company or that company etc. Its hard to beat the approach to be a serious investor in 20 companies than a collector of 100. Of course I would like to own 100 since it's so much fun!
I wouldn't worry about the downturn. Just keep adding and when we revert you'll suddenly be at $200,000. (Gotta love investing!)
The extreme cash generation of MO and PM is not something to turn away lightly. The yields are beyond great too. I've never made the plunge due to ever declining volumes and the fear the government will eventually use high taxation to price them out of most people's budgets. Cigarettes have few if any positives going for them and I just wonder what the paradigm shift would be if government and/or insurance said we're not subsidizing your habit anymore. One brilliant ray of hope does come to mind for tobacco companies and that is the e-cigarette. From what I've been told, they're usually allowed inside. And when smokers can conveniently smoke inside, they smoke more. Has anyone heard if they're healthier or not?
Getting people to adopt them is the trick. I'm guessing it will be similar to getting people to adopt light beer in the 80's. Initially it was seen as limp-wristed and uncool. Fast forward 30 years and everyone is drinking light beer. How'd they do it? Endorsements. Manly-men, mostly athletes, throwing back some cool refreshing light beer!
Hi Jason,
Close to $150k! wow great journey ahead. I was surprised to see my Jan 2014 dividend be $203.70. This is like close to half of what I got in dividends in 2013. I am looking forward to the year, small step ahead.
Dividend Mom
Jason
With all you January trades you are in danger of becoming a trader :-)
Seriously though, I think that sometimes buying are like the story about London buses, where you wait ages an then three turn up at once!
I hope all your buys work out well for you, but as you say its not the change in share prices that are the reason for our choices, but the continuous increase in the dividend payments. I now look at my buys as purchasing units of income and choose companies where I think the income will rise over a period of time (preferably without any falls), and not really bothered about what "Mr Market" does to the share price (though rising dividend payments usually do lead to rising share prices)
Best Wishes
RBD,
Wow. Nice month there! You were very active.
I'm with you. Time to get the cash ready. My tank is empty right now, but I'm hoping to have enough for two buys in February assuming the Mr. Market remains a bit depressed.
Best wishes!
investingIdiot,
It definitely sounds like an interesting week. Let's keep our fingers crossed for even cheaper prices. :)
Best regards.
Pursuit,
I hear you. My hand was forced a bit too, especially with INTC and PM.
I'm definitely hoping the market continues to provide some pretty decent entry point for some of these high quality stocks. I'll be eying prices like a hawk! :)
Cheers.
Bryan,
Yeah, I can't believe it. I'm not sure what the market is going to do from here, but assuming flat prices in most of the stocks I'm invested in I'll likely hit $150k within the next few months. I'm really blessed. I just plan to keep working hard!
Yeah, I'd love for the three of us to meet up! That would be awesome. It was a good time meeting up with Kraig the first time around, so I'd love to do it again. Keep me posted!
Best wishes.
Spoonman,
I wouldn't mind at all if I'm posting that the Fund is only worth $130k next month, as long as my new capital can go that much further and my dividend income keeps increasing. That's really the name of the game anyway! :)
I hope to keep on trucking right along with you!
Cheers.
Monty,
I hear you. I definitely don't want to be a stock collector. 50 is probably my number, and I've been hovering around the 43 mark for quite a while now, so it's not like I'm particularly anxious on increasing my positions.
However, I keep circling back to income diversification. Only holding 20 stocks means that if just one stock cuts its dividend you lose 5% of your income. Obviously, you have to have a lot of confidence in every single investment at that point. While it's hard to imagine XOM or JNJ running into financial problems and having to cut the dividend, it was also difficult for many investors to imagine Kodak, Sears or GM running into such major problems. Titans of industry tend to change every generation or so, so I prefer to be diversified enough to mitigate major income loss. That's just me.
Best wishes.
TFCL,
E-cigs are the future. I was just recently at a restaurant and seen two people using them indoors in the restaurant. It'll be important that MO and PM properly integrate this into their business model and make sure their products are high quality. LO is doing a great job with this so far with Blu. I'm pretty excited for this development, but if MO and PM are not careful they could lose significant business in traditional cigarettes to the e-cigs while not properly transitioning to the latter. Kind of like how Intel missed the mobile party. Sometimes these big companies don't take a new technology seriously, but so far PM and MO are getting on this pretty quickly. Regulation and taxation will come along and separate the winners from the losers, so it's important to monitor all of this on a regular basis.
Take care!
Dividend Mom,
Thanks for the support! Closing in on $150k feels great, but I'm still looking forward to cheaper prices and a devalued Fund next month.
Congrats on a fantastic January! Over $200 in one month is really awesome! You're making significant progress. Keep it up. Those dividends are already paying your bills. :)
Best wishes.
FI UK,
Haha. Nice analogy there. I like it, and think it's apt. No deals for almost all of 2013, and now we've got fairly decent prices galore. :)
I also don't really worry about what Mr. Market is doing unless it means I have capital and I'm willing to purchase what he's selling. Only then do I care what kind of mood he's in, what he's selling and for how much. Let's hope his mood deteriorates as 2014 progresses!
Best regards.
Congrats on averaging down on your existing positions and starting a new investment in Omega Healthcare. A pull back is always great to make investment purchases. Who would not want to have their money working harder for them then sitting in a savings account or under a mattress.
It was an all around active month for pretty much everyone it seems. I snagged some more ARCP, and started small positions in TGT and MCD in a no-cost portfolio (with Loyal3). I'll be updating with my activity soon (once caught up of course!) ;)
Looking forward to your remaining monthly updates!
Looks great! I'm working on accumulating TGT and would love to get CVX but cash is limited.
Steve
Not a bad month! I took a bit of a hit in January as well in my overall portfolio value, but I'm looking at it as an opportunity to improve my portfolio and grow my income stream. Thanks for the update - I always look forward to these posts!
I think it's kind of a good thing that your monthly contributions weren't able to offset the monthly drop of the portfolio, in a way. It's a sign that your portfolio is getting large enough that its own performance will soon matter a lot more than your own, so to speak. And that's kind of the goal, right? Cheers!
Great progress! You repositioned the Intel sale very well. I don't know about you, but I'm excited to finally get to reinvest my dividends at lower prices. Steady as she goes.
Hello mr Mantra,
The freedom fund seems to develop well, gratz! :) Nice buys aswell! I also had an active month, buying Chevron, Chubb and Philip Morris. Do you have any opinions on Mattel?
Greetings from Sweden :)
Interesting way to think about a pullback (or correction) or whatever else you want to call it. Thinking about the market going lower makes most people nervous, but it seems perfectly logical for an investor with a 5-10 year horizon to actually hope for a flat/declining market.
Investing Pursuits,
Absolutely. People say they would sleep better with their cash under the mattress, but $150k underneath me while I sleep would give me back problems!
I'm glad the market is finally pulling back a bit here. Providing some intriguing opportunities. I get to go shopping again later this week as I get my commission check on Thursday. :)
Cheers!
w2r,
Nice job there. Sounds like you had a great month. You made some very similar moves to me. Picking up some high quality companies along with a REIT on sale sounds like a great strategy! :)
Keep up the great work! Looking forward to your updates as well.
Best wishes.
Steve,
So many stocks, so little capital. I hear you, my friend.
I'm hoping to have some cash to play with in a few days here, but I also have to set aside some money for taxes. I'll likely owe at least $1,000 so I'll have to start my taxes this coming weekend and find out exactly what I have to pay.
Have fun shopping!
Take care.
Matt,
That's the right thing to do. Looking at this pullback as an opportunity because that's exactly what it is.
I just love it when Mr. Market becomes irritated. He's highly likely to let shares in high quality businesses go for less than what they're really worth.
Best regards.
DB40,
Yeah, I guess my portfolio is all grown up now. He's out in the world doing his own thing. :)
I'm just looking forward to the day when my dividends for the month are larger than my own capital infusions. Then we'll really be talking!
Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers.
Chris,
I'm with you. Lower prices = more yield for the same amount of money. This is exactly what many of us were clamoring for, so I'll be excited to go shopping later this week.
Thanks for the support!
Best wishes.
Anonymous,
Great month there. Very active, indeed. I think you made some very solid purchases.
I don't follow Mattel, but their business model with traditional toys does worry me. I was interested in Hasbro a while back, but passed because I see more and more small children playing with electronics.
Thanks for stopping by from Sweden. Hope you're staying warm over there!
Best regards.
Ravi,
Right. It all depends on your investment horizon to a degree, but also your perspective. Focusing on the income allows one to be excited when more income can be bought for the same amount of money. I'm lucky in that I focus on the income and I have a lengthy time horizon still, although not as long as most investors my age because I plan on retiring at a young age.
Take care!
I just purchased some TGT today myself. The whole credit card/hacking debacle is bringing a negative sentiment towards the company while nothing has drastically changed in their business. 12-18 months from now I believe it will all be a thing in the past.
Marvin,
Nice move. I agree that the data breach issue is transient in nature. I'm more concerned about the troubles they've had with Canadian expansion, but I'm hopeful that will work itself out in time.
Best regards!
I want to get into a TGT position soon too, although I think it will be cheaper still over the next month or two. Banks are beginning to sue TGT now so the negative press is not over yet. If this little pullback continues it should bring the price down as well. Will you add more if we see TGT even cheaper than now?
DM, it is a great value and I think you do not have to be frustrated of the value decrease, but we both know it, right? I think it is actually a good thing that markets are correcting as we can add more shares to our holdings for cheaper price. And some gems are already showing up.
It is great that you post the portfolio value changes as it helps us (at least me) to compare how are we doing. So, it is motivational. It helps me to see, that I am doing well when comparing my portfolio to yours and do not have to panic :)
Seeing my values drop like a brick isn't much fun, but as long as its not going to be a 10 year bear market I'll be happy. I'm loving some of these prices, but capital is thin at the moment. I hope it stays like this for a few years. That would be great!
Wow, you've had a busy month Jason!
I agree with your decision to get rid of INTC. Early last year I was thinking about adding INTC to my portfolio, but the lack of dividend increases and the valuation just didn't make it very attractive. Oh well, INTC is off my radar for now.
Keep up the great work on your Freedom Fund.
Anonymous,
I'm highly interested in adding more TGT here. I have to set aside some capital this month for taxes, so we'll see what I have left. But I like TGT, KO, GE, COP, CVX and a few others here. I do love averaging down! :)
Cheers.
Martin,
I'm glad you get some value out of these updates. While I don't directly compare myself to others, I often like to see how others in my age and income bracket are doing. In the end, however, I just try to focus on the rising income and compare that against my expenses. That's the best comparison of all.
Best wishes!
Monty,
I'm also hoping that the pullback continues and sticks around a while. I wouldn't mind cheap prices for a few years. That would definitely improve my chances at early retirement.
My capital is a bit thin right now too; I share your pain! Last month was extremely busy for me, and then now I have to worry about the tax bill. Let's keep our fingers crossed that Mr. Market's mood deteriorates over the next few months. :)
Take care.
Kanwal,
Thanks for stopping by!
I think you made a great choice passing on INTC. When I first invested in the company (back in '11) it was in the midst of large, and regular dividend increases. The mobile revolution was getting hot and Intel seemed poised to strike while the iron was hot. My how a few years can change things!
Thanks for the support. I do appreciate it. I hope all is well with you as well!
Best regards.
Hi Jason,
I've been enjoying your blog for quite some time now. I have a question for you. I own similar REITS and MLP's like you ie O, OHI and KMI. I own them in a ROTH IRA but I'm hoping to add some of these stocks to a family member's taxable account.
I believe your Freedom Fund is a taxable account as well, so wondering what sort of tax implications are there for having these stocks in a taxable account. I appreciate any help with this.
Thanks and keep up the great work! :)
Vinay
Vinay,
100% of my investments are in a taxable account. I discussed the rationale for that here:
http://www.dividendmantra.com/2013/08/why-i-hold-100-of-my-equity-investments.html
I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions, or if I can otherwise help. :)
Best wishes.
Hi Jason,
interesting decision to sell INTC. I am still owning it and will keep it. What about MSFT? Will you buy some of those?
Marco
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home